In order to increase the overall performance and appeal of our website, sometimes we install on your browser some small files containing data: these files are called “cookies”. Cookie creation is a standard process for the majority of websites and web services to improve the navigation experience of their users.
What are cookies ?
They’re a small text file containing preferences and/or informations of a single user. Thanks to these files the website is able to remember your actions and preferences (like login data, language, size of fonts & other GUI and display-related settings) so that you won’t have to manually set them on every visit.
- identify users
- remember users’ custom preferences
- help users complete tasks without having to re‑enter information when browsing from one page to another or when visiting the site later.
We’ll also use them for online behavioural target advertising and to show adverts relevant to something that the user searched for in the past.
How are they used?
What are the different types of cookies?
A cookie can be classified by its lifespan and the domain to which it belongs. By lifespan, a cookie is either:
- a session cookie which is erased when the user closes the browser.
- a persistent cookie which remains on the user’s computer/device for a pre-defined period of time.
As for the domain to which it belongs, there are either:
- first-party cookies which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain.
How can you control your cookies?
You can control your cookies and/or learn more info in the following websites:
- aboutcookies.org, a great online resource about cookies containing useful info about how to enable, disable, control and/or optionally delete them.
- Cookies – European Commission, the EU regulation law reference site hosted by the European Commission.
- Cookie – Garante Privacy, the IT regulation law reference site hosted by the Italian “Garante della Privacy” office.
- HTTP cookie – Wikipedia, the entry on Wikipedia.com (click here for the same entry published on Wikipedia Italia).